[NTLK] Newton Programming Basics

From: Sean Cross (smcross_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 20:49:44 PST

Because I think it would be a neat thing to know, I've been trying to
learn how to program in NewtonScript. Thus far, I know C, Objective-C
(notably the Cocoa framework), Perl, and a few other languages. I
know some C++, but it is not among my favorites. Not among them is
SELF, Smalltalk, or any NewtonScript-esque language, but with enough
practice I think I should be able to pick it up. Ultimately, I would
like to try writing something in C++, because that seems to be the
second favorite language on the Newton and I have a few project ideas
that would benefit greatly from the speed improvement, but I would
like to start with the basics.

The main question I have is: How does one go about learning to program
a Newton? I've seen Paul's tutorial
(http://thegreenedge.weblogger.com/stories/storyReader$26), but from
what I can tell, the resulting program will not install on my eMate
(it gives a "This uses stationery that is not installed and cannot be
displayed" error).

Every time I try to pick up the platform again, I try to write a piece
of software, and then reach an "unclimbable hill" in terms of what
direction to actually /go/ in. I create the main view, I draw
objects, I declare them, and then I am unsure of how to actually wire
it all together.

I understand the concept of resources. I vaguely understand the
concept of views, and how declaring a view to another sets its
"parent" slot to that of the view it's declared in. I even sort of
understand the whole project-order-counts idea. What I don't
understand is the lifetime of the package when it actually gets onto
the Newton. What is actually run when the package is loaded? What is
run when the package is activated? What is run when a package is
tapped? And what does the lifetime of a program look like?