Re: [NTLK] Concerning Apple's Switch to Intel Chips...

From: Joost van de Griek (jvdg_at_jvdg.com)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 13:27:34 PDT

On 2005-06-09 16:27, Ola Tuvesson wrote:

> If OSX is x86 compatible, if the new Macs will use standard Intel PC
> processors, if the motherboard is a standard AGP/PCIe/SATA/DDR deal, if
> storage controllers and graphics cards are the same as in PCs - how do they
> stop users from installing OSX on standard PCs even if it isn't officcialy
> supported by Apple? If it quacks like a duck...

Intel hardware DRM.

> And vice versa, what would stop users from installing Windows on the new
> Macs?

Nothing. They already said so.

> Whatever method employed to stop this from being done will likely be highly
> artificial since the hardware will be essentially identical.

Not necessarily. Theoretically, Apple could build these systems the way they
build the PowerPC Macs: buy chips from $chip_maker and build a computer
around it, using custom ASICs for glue.

More likely, though, they will buy complete motherboards, possibly built to
Apple spec, from Intel. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. They might just
as well move to selling expensive, "Mac OS X enabled" PC's in pretty boxes.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by.
 - Douglas Adams