[NTLK] Concerning Apple's Switch to Intel Chips...

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 06:17:33 PDT

June 9, 2005

[Much idle speculation on my part]

Well, I think the switch to Intel chips from IBM chips is a great idea, for
reasons more than just cost reduction.

One can make the argument that OS code changes over the years make the impact
of an architectural change minimal. However, I would argue that such changes
are often made for multiple reasons; cost and heat reduction are only two
possible reasons. Maybe such changes allow Apple to 'lock down' the control of
their machines further, preventing home hobbyists from tweaking and hacking.
Might also have something to do with further prevention/reduction of software
piracy down the road... Just speculation on my part, but something to think
about...

Didn't IBM sell the hardware-building portion of their business to the
Chinese recently? Maybe Jobs wants to help keep a few more (ahem) jobs in the US?
I'm not sure how much Intel work is done domestically, though I believe they
have a large presence in southern California. The Chinese government is truly
evil -- perhaps as evil as the US government in some ways? If we can keep them
from sucking away any more jobs from the West, its a good thing (This is from
the perspective of a resident of Michigan, a state with unemployment rates
ranging from 7 - 12%, depending on what area of the state you look at).

Oh, uh, by the way, my ancient IBM ThinkPad 600X and my equally ancient
eMachine eMonster 550 both run on Intel P3 chips. :O)

Matt K.