Re: [NTLK] Harris 2000 - Apple Newton | Questions...

From: varistor_at_verizon.net
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 06:20:23 PST

On Jan 16, 2005, at 10:11 PM, Mark Jozaitis wrote:

> Hello All,
> I think there was some questions about the Harris PDA
> gizmo, I have received one but the battery is dead and
> there is no AC, does any one know how I can
> replace/find some of these? I have been dyeing to use
> one.
>
> Any Ideas? Please let me know!

I should apologize for the somewhat "Me Too" nature of this post.

I too recently received a Harris SuperTech 2000 (ST2K as it says in the
lid).
It doesn't have a battery or cables, but otherwise appears to be in
good functional condition.

I opened up the case recently with out doing any major disassembly.
Some of the screws are sealed, and I'm not
sure if I want to change that just yet. That said, I noted that the
circuit boards that handle the front buttons and the
battery contacts are both stamped Digital Ocean, and (I think) the unit
was originally equipped with an internal
wireless unit from digital ocean, as used in their Seahorse and Tarpon
units. The connectors of interests are
four large contacts in the battery bay (these are labeled on the IC
board, but I'd have to open the unit up again to get
them), 8 large contacts at the top of the unit, whose function I
haven't yet investigated, but appear to by possibly for
a dock or some such thing, and a round port on the lower right with 12
pins, 9 around the outer edge with 3 in the middle.

At any rate, if anyone knows the pin outs of any of these connectors,
or has other ideas for supply power to these units,
I'd be glad to know.

A side note, mine doesn't have the word "HARRIS" printed on the case
below the buttons, however some of the
units in the pictures do.

Cheers