Re: [NTLK] BT-001 v1.1

From: Jake Bordens (newton_at_allaboutjake.com)
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 04:25:22 PST

> why did you switch modules?

This new module is a Class 2 module with an HCI interface. The old
one was a Class 1 module with serial modem emulation in firmware.
Blunt requires an HCI interface.

> i gather that you are not using an external antenna? why not? or
> better
> yet what are you using for an antenna? where is it located?

You can see the antenna in the pictures. It is a 2.4ghz chip
antenna. Its blue and on the same side of the board as the bluetooth
module

http://www.allaboutjake.com/newton/bt-001.html

I also included a image of the circuit layout on the page now. You
can see where the antenna is mounted and how the ground plane is
associated with it. Red is top, blue is bottom, and purple is both.
The big purple area is the ground plane, on both sides of the board.
You can find the datasheet for the antenna here:

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Linx%20Technologies/Web%20Data/
ant-2.4-chp-dg.pdf

As for why, I kind of like a clean exterior. However, an external
antenna that screws in where the modem cover is might be doable.

>> Range seems to be about 5 feet with the cover off, less with the back
> i suspect this is directional also due to shielding from the rest
> of the
> newt.

Possible

> if it does then i suspect it will still be directional, at 2.4ghz it
> doesn't take much to block the signal (unless you don't want the
> signal
> in which case nothing will block it ;-)

I'll have to do some directionality tests.

>> It does work though, and I've successfully used Blunt and Neo to
>> transfer notes to my Powerbook.
> any particular orientation or just sitting next to the powerbook?

Kinda holding it over the powerbook. I'll do some more
directionality tests tonight.

Jake