Re: [NTLK] BT-001 v1.1

From: William Pociengel (hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 20:38:07 PST

Jake Bordens wrote:
> Hi folks. Well, I finished the next version of the BT-001 card.
> This one is Blunt capable and work with the "Internal Module" setting
> and the Generic driver at 57600.
>
> You can see pictures here: http://www.allaboutjake.com/newton/
> bt-001.html
why did you switch modules?

> I haven't done much testing yet. However, range seems to be poor. I
> don't know if this is my fault yet, but it probably is. I am not an
> RF radio engineer, and I built the antenna design based on my best
> guess. I may have guessed wrong.
i gather that you are not using an external antenna? why not? or better
yet what are you using for an antenna? where is it located?

> Range seems to be about 5 feet with the cover off, less with the back
i suspect this is directional also due to shielding from the rest of the
newt.
> cover on. I haven't tried scraping off the shielding of the inside
> of the case to see if this makes a difference.
if it does then i suspect it will still be directional, at 2.4ghz it
doesn't take much to block the signal (unless you don't want the signal
in which case nothing will block it ;-)

> It does work though, and I've successfully used Blunt and Neo to
> transfer notes to my Powerbook.
any particular orientation or just sitting next to the powerbook?

--
special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too far
along a path that you cannot explain anymore.