Re: [NTLK] [OT] OS X for Intel Cracked, Successfully Running on PC Hardware

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 11:55:38 PDT

On Aug 18, 2005, at 9:56 AM, Tyler Regas wrote:

> Apple may be a minority compared to Microsoft, but there are millions
> of Mac users out there. The concept that Apple's small market share
> protects it from virus writers is about as bunk as you can get.
This isn't entirely right. There is something to be said for the wide
spread inexpensive nature of windows hardware allowing it to get into
the hands of more punky script kiddies. The fact that macs have
traditionally been a premium item, does keep a certain element away,
don't you think?

> Microsoft is a target because they can't balance feature versus
> security hole. Mac OS X is more functional than Windows XP, but it
> has a closed, secure architecture whose extended feature set is made
> only available to the end user. That's why we don't have viruses, not
> because virus writers aren't interested in us.
This is crap. There are lots of easy ways that OSX can easily be
targeted, and someday certainly will be. It is true that OSX has a
more time tested architecture as has been discussed ad nauseam here
already. That said, most of the current exploits on windows involve
tricking a user into doing something which triggers the troubles. This
approach works very well on the mac to.

> Additionally, you have to be pretty smart to use Windows effectively.
> I find it to be a challenge to administer every day. When it comes to
> the Macs in my office, I almost never have to deal with them, and
> that includes my own. Give Apple credit where credit is due. They
> invented the intuitive interface, after all!
And it's been downhill ever since.

OSX will have it's day of troubles coming up, so do not gloat too much
about "superiority".

Marty