Re: [NTLK] MP2K1 w/Ser01 Card - case cracked

From: Tony Morrow (tony_m_tomorrow_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 08:12:39 PDT

I was looking at my Newton yesterday when I noticed the case was
cracking from the SER-001 board I installed. Its not the entire case,
but the outer green covering that is cracking. Then inner metal
structure is still intact. When I installed the board I noticed the
bulge in the case that many other had reported. I just let the problem
go since I knew it was a known issue. Yesterday when I saw the case
cracked I took the Newton apart to see the cause. looking at the area
that started cracking I concluded the problem was from the soldered
area where the DIN connector is. For me that creates the majority of
the bulge. I also figured the little extra area on top of the DIN
connector accounted for the problem. To remedy the situation I filed
the top of the DIN connector down flush and removed the little spacer
on PCB where a screw fits. I noticed that spacer makes the board set
cocked and not flush. after reinstalling the board the case does not
bulge as bad as before, but it is still there. I still think the
problem is the solder points, but i do not want to mess with them.