Re: [NTLK] .nwt header bytes

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 06:55:22 PDT

Scot McSweeney-Roberts wrote:
> Does anybody know what the 16 bytes at the start of an .nwt file
> represent? At the moment I just skip over them when I read a .nwt file,
> but it would be good to know what those bytes are there for.
>
> I've tried Google and the archive for this list, but all I've found is
> the odd mention of the header existing and no details as to what the
> header contains.

Hey Scot,

What you're looking at in the .nwt file is called the Newton Streamed Object
Format", basicially a serialized version of a NewtonScript frame.

This is described in the Newton Formats 1.1 documentation, Chapter 4:

http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/documentation/developer/NewtonFormats1.1.pdf

To save yourself some time, you might want to grab a copy of the DCL source
code. It can read NSOF and output XML.

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/