Re: [NTLK] External Power Packs for Newtons

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 02:15:38 PDT

The only thing I can tell you for sure is that for the electrical interface
the power adapter specifications do apply.

Thinking about an external power pack - one problem is to avoid charging of
the internal rechargeable pack while having the external booster connected.
This can be solved easily if you
a) use a standard (not modified) battery tray with alkalines or
rechargeables
b) there is possibly a way to prevent the Newt from charging via SW

As far as the solution for the external power pack is concerned I could see
a high efficiency dc/dc converter, providing the correct output specs for
the Newt (in case you prevent the Newt from charging, the requirements
regardig current limitation are much more relaxed).
In principle you are free to do what you like then:
either you choose a higher battery voltage (12V) to feed the converter (that
can be a simple buck converter in that case) or you decide to boost a lower
battery voltage up to 7.5V.

The most important things are:
1) to stabilise te output voltage to 7.5V max.
2) to prevent the Newt from charging, in this case the current limitation
required for the ac power adaptor is not important and not really needed.

Cheers
Johannes