Re: [NTLK] External Power Packs for Newtons

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 07:36:59 PDT

On Apr 4, 2005 5:15 AM, Johannes Wolf <mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int> wrote:
> The most important things are:
> 1) to stabilise te output voltage to 7.5V max.

Wouldn't this mean just 5 Battery Cells to keep the limit?

> 2) to prevent the Newt from charging, in this case the current limitation
> required for the ac power adaptor is not important and not really needed.

Tell me why this would be a concern? Being that I'm thinking in
regards of using a battery power pack? I've had this idea of using a
commercially available rechargeable external pack that can accommodate
the Newton. It can be charged with a A/C Adapter or a Car Adapter.
I've checked the specs out and they are 2700mAh NiMH capacity. Testing
has proved that it will work fine. However I cam contemplating
building my own now...

These are the prices I've seen on one sellers site for a MP2x00
Re-Celled Rechargeable Pack... now my solution I'm working on is
higher capacity and still less than the 2200mAh offering for $79.
It's an External Pack though...

2000 mah* (67% longer life) $49:
2200 mah* (83% longer life) $79:
2500 mah* (over 2X longer life) $109:

Can you explain why do we need to prevent the Newton from recharging
the internal NiMH Pack with the External Pack? It would be nice to
understand this in lay-man's terms.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung