Re: [NTLK] NewtBee Comm Update v.1.1.2

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 09:13:54 PDT

JP wrote:
> Hi folks;
>
> hmm...Seems that the concensus on what I can expect to receive (NMP
> 2000) is a machine w/1mb RAM and smaller heap; the RAM can be augmented
> via CF. This is confirmed upgradable. Yes? The heap doesn't seem to be.
> Am catching up a bit; so, is does this impinge on multi-tasking and/or
> the size of files open? Or both? Should I expect NOS 2.0 or 2.1? I think
> if it were 2.0 that I can download the 2.1 update; Yes?

All 2x00 models are 2.1. You can expand the memory storage with CF
cards, but only if you get Paul's ATA driver and it is not free ($50).
It also does not work with all flash cards. You need to look at
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/?lg=en for all the details. There is
a list of known cards that work with the ATA driver.

As for how multitasking you can do, yes with less heap you can't do as
much at once or have as many packages (programs) activated at once (not
frozen). Each package, even if not running will need some heap. So you
will probably need to freeze packages you don't use all the time. This
keeps them available on the card, but not "activated". You have to
unfreeze them to use. As for size of open files, yes I suppose it will
be a limiting factor. But you will only see a problem if you are
working on a large NewtWorks file (usually word processing document).
This of course can vary but as long as you don't have a ton of packages
"activated" at once (unfrozen) you should be fine.

Oh one other thing you might see a limitation on, is going online and
browsing the web. With all your packages activated at once (depends on
the size of card of course) you might have "Newton is out of memory"
errors. If you get such errors, just freeze unneeded packages and you
should be fine.

> one slot and not have issues w/ethernet card in other slot.
Shouldn't be a problem, unless you start running out of heap.
Networking (internet or LAN) is known to take a lot of heap. So if you
get "out of memory" errors you will need to freeze some packages.

> The NMP 2100 standard ship config is 5mb RAM w/max heap. Is that right?
4 megs of Flash Storage and 4 heap

You will probably want to get NCU (Newton Connection Utilities) so you
can install packages and make backups (just don't incremental ones! move
or delete your old backup files before doing a new one so you are sure
to make a fresh backup and not a incremental one). NCU is on UNNA
(http://www.unna.org). It will run in classic (which you seem to have).
  If you have problems with it, there are other methods of installing
packages and making backups that I am sure others will mention.

-Dan