Re: [NTLK] [OT] IBM Model M

From: Bruce E. Durocher II (bedii_at_qwest.net)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 09:13:56 PDT

On Sep 23, 2004, at 7:36 AM, Victor Rehorst wrote:

> Puckdropper wrote:
>> (I love my loud clicky
>> IBM Model M keyboards!)
>
> Model M users unite! Beat down your enemies with the heft of a 5 lb
> steel-clad keyboard!
>
> I /really/ need to clean this model M I use at work. Of course,
> that's why it
> has removable keycaps. You can't beat cleaning 101 keycaps with a
> toothbrush
> and toothpaste for geekiness.

        Ah, but you can. I used to work with an old-time tech who had worked
for a firm that used Hall Effect keyboards. (The butchered explanation
of Hall Effect keyboards is that the keyswitches use magnetic fields
rather than mechanical switches to signal a keystroke.) He used to
collect five or six keyboards from around the building, bring 'em home,
put 'em in the dishwasher, set it on "Energy Saver" to make sure the
dryer elements didn't come on and let it rip.

        Now *that's* geeky.

Bruce E. Durocher II
bedii_at_qwest.net