Re: [NTLK] Silent Keyboard

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 09:33:48 PDT

Andrew,

> Is there a way to make a Newton keyboard totally silent?

I tried a suggestion that made on this list some time ago on one of my
Newton keyboards that involved removing all the key caps and the elastomer
return springs, laying a thin sheet of foam across the whole surface
(perforated with holes for the keys) and then replacing the caps.

It is totally silent but has no tactile feedback whatever and not much key
travel so it's like typing on a desk. You might get used to it after a while
and I have kept mine in its modified state for occasional use.

You can always return to the previous arrangement as nothing gets damaged.

The Newtway solution is probably the better one as you then have a very
compact keyboard you can take with you anywhere.

Joel.