Re: [NTLK] [OT] IBM Model M

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 09:54:23 PDT

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:36:45AM -0400, Victor Rehorst wrote:
> Model M users unite! Beat down your enemies with the heft of a 5 lb
> steel-clad keyboard!
>
> I /really/ need to clean this model M I use at work. Of course,
> that's why it has removable keycaps. You can't beat cleaning 101
> keycaps with a toothbrush and toothpaste for geekiness.

Heh. A model M you can almost put in the dishwasher and expect good
results. (You can certainly run the keycaps through in the silverware
basket...)

I need to get another of the Model M boards with the integrated
trackball. That was *so* sweet.

> At home, my Model M was too loud - it used to wake up my wife when she
> was sleeping in another room. Replaced it with a Logitech Cordless
> Elite - it doesn't have the feel, but that volume control is damn
> handy.

The black and silver Logitech's do have a very good feel for how little
noise they make.

What I'd *really like* is the Happy Hacking keyboard layout with
buckling spring switches.

--
37. If my trusted lieutenant tells me my Legions of Terror are losing a
    battle, I will believe him. After all, he's my trusted lieutenant.