Re: [NTLK] wi-fi & J&K Sales

From: Charles Kuttner (ckuttner_at_jhu.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 15:59:41 PDT

Hi, folks, I am a newbie to Newtontalk. Bought my 2000 in 1997, had the
serial port fixed by Apple under warranty, then had it made into a
2100, but finally retired the much-beloved beast when the serial port
died a second time and Applecare was no more.

I have a couple of questions that I've found some partial threads for
in Archives, but perhaps it's time to get the latest scoop summarized:

1) I discovered J&K Sales via Google. It sounds like for about $60,
they'll put a replacement serial port that even supplants the dongle.
Anyone have anything good or bad to say about these people.

2) When my wife and I travel, we often are in areas so civilized, e.g.,
New York City, that internet cafes are hard to find, but freebie wi-fi
networks apparently zap us constantly with free access. It would be
great to be able to access our email and the web in such places.
    Apparently, there are some PC cards one can put in a 2100, add a
driver, and thus get the Newton to think it's hooked up to an ethernet
network....at least if I understand that correctly.

   Can anyone inform me or point me to resources so I can get the ol'
2100 out of retirement? Many thanks in advance,

chas

Charles Kuttner, MD
Portland, OR
http://cmug.com/~ckuttner/
-----
There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a
miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
-- Albert Einstein