Re: [NTLK] Connecting a 2x00 (Was: Hi. I'm New!)

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 16:37:09 PDT

> My name is Roberto. I just joined the list today.

Hi Roberto. Welcome to the Newton community.

> My Newton didn't come with the cable to hook it up to the computer.

Snip...

> I have the MessagePad 2000 and I have a Mac Powerbook G4 and a HP
> Windows 98 desktop PC. HELP!!!!!!

You will need what is commonly called "the dongle", a part that plugs
into the Newton interconnect port. The dongle has a female plug into
which you can either plug a Mac printer cable or a cable that has an
8 pin MiniDin plug on one side and the plug for a PC Com port on the
other side. Be aware that the latter is available with different
pinouts, the correct pinout can be found here:

http://www.nsbasic.com/newton/info/technotes/cable.html
http://www.jneuhaus.com/applserl.html
http://www.oldschool.net/newton/pccable.html

Once the physical connection is established, you will need the
Newton connection utilities (NCU) that are available both for the PC and
the Mac and can be found here: http://www.unna.org

If you have a fast PC, you might need one or more instances of slowdown.exe
that is also available for download at unna.

If you can't make it work, please feel free to let us know.

Good luck

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de\