Re: [NTLK] A few thoughts on Einstein.

From: Nicolas Zinovieff (krugazor_at_free.fr)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 11:47:28 PDT

On 12 Sep, 2004, at 17:57, karel Jansens wrote:

> If I am allowed one note of criticism, it has to be this one: in some
> circles it is considered bad form to ask the cooperation of the
> community on a project (in whatever way conceivable) without firstly
> telling what your intentions are with the source.

OK, let me just chime in on this.
We are not asking for development help.
We have a proof of concept that works, but that's it. It is a first
step. Since Paul and I have dedicated much work to other projects (both
Newton and others) which failed to catch the audience's attention, we
decided this time that we would halt the development until the
objective was clear.
The licencing issue doesn't occur in some of the possible ways from
there, and quite frankly I found rather depressing to have a
conversation that goes like this:
- "Hey, I happen to have a TV I want to give you"
- "What's the color?"

The point is not relevant. Paul and I happen to have developped (up
until a certain point) something that might be a key asset in the
Newton's future. Since it concerns most Newton{ians;neers;nites;
users}, we thought it might be a good idea to shrink the development
space a bit...
As far as I'm concerned, the answer could be "I like the Newton the way
it is, and I won't change hardware in 10 years". If that's so, then we
will have spent only 4 weeks on this project and basta.
If you think it's a great opportunity to change the software (having a
dev environment on the Desktop may not concern most of you here, but
still), like fixing the dreaded 61 error, or the -4 NIE error, or
implementing new technologies, etc, then so be it, we will focus on
speeding the thing up.
If you think it's a motorway to freedom from Apple's restraints on the
whole thing and that we should move on to new hardware, then we will
focus on hardware integration.

Once this is decided, we might or might not request _help_ to actually
release something, OSS or not, free or not.

If we just decide to go our way without consulting, it will probably be
to kill the project, since we spent a whole bunch of energy in there
and don't feel like spending another huge one just to get a "Is that
it?" kind of response.

> But anyway, as I wrote before, they don't have to ask permission on
> what they want to do with their project.

Thanks :D

--
Nicolas