Re: [NTLK] A few thoughts on Einstein.

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 15:03:05 PDT

I didn't really chime in on this one so far, not even on the WWNC
really because I found the concept so overwhelming that it took some
time to sink in.
First of all, we'll need to move on. I always wondered if this was the
case but on the WWNC it became clear to me that not only the lack of
SSL/SSH and poor IPv4 but in the not so far future the Newt might not
even be able to surf 'normally' anymore because of the move to IPv6.
Put that together with the stuff Nicolas just mentioned (fixing the
dreaded 61 error or the -4 NIE error, implementing new technologies,
etc.) and the Einstein project doesn't just sound exciting, it sounds
inevitable.

They (Nicolas and Paul) mentioned that they were going to put the
question in which direction to take Einstein to the list and I
asked/cautioned them referring to John Anderson's experiences.
They wanted to know the opinion of the community of Newton users and
here we are now.

I must say that there's hasn't been as much abuse as I expected so far,
but I do have the feeling I read a lot of 'fast' opinions. On a subject
of this magnitude (to me) I'd rather read, fewer but better argued
ones.

Now for my own opinion so far (it's certainly still evolving):

- To have Einstein run native seems the best choice at first,
considering possible drawbacks of emulation (speed, bugs etc.) but I'm
not yet sure if this is based on complete information and how feasible
this is.
- But if emulation wouldn't suffer from a speed lag (is that possible?)
or too many bugs, it might suddenly give us access to the hardware of
own own choice. Very compelling indeed. I still find it hard to imagine
that we might be all using the Newton OS on completely different
machines. Or own two different ones, a small one in your pocket, a
larger one during meetings.

I asked Paul or Nicolas to argue their choice but they didn't' answer
to this call so far, my guess is that they both want to hear what we
want first and basically they said that much.
But as you can read above it's still hard to choose between two options
if you don't have all the necessary data.

So at the moment no definite choice from me yet because I lack the
necessary data.

Oh, and about this: 'If we just decide to go our way without
consulting, it will probably be to kill the project, since we spent a
whole bunch of energy in there and don't feel like spending another
huge one just to get a "Is that it?" kind of response.'

As I mentioned on the WWNC, you'll always have a couple of assholes
complaining about the details of a gift instead of being happy with it,
and you anticipated this as well.
Now I think it's only to be expected that after the rush of the WWNC
and incredible amount of work you both put in there that this kind of
BS is a bit harder to take, and I fully understand.
But even contemplate killing this project after making us all so happy
about it. It would be, to use your own analogy: Guys we have a color TV
for you all, but because there are a few that complained, we won't give
it to any of you.

Any support fro this project that I can give I will, and from the
reactions I've seen/heard on the WWNC I'm definitely not the only one.
Hell, Roman and me, we got nicely drunk the same evening musing about
all the angels and possibilities!

Robert Benschop