[NTLK] I found a GPS PCMCIA Card! But it won't work :(

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 10:52:35 PDT

Hey y'all,

Well, I was having a frustrating time at work the other day and was poking
around the shelves of lost hardware, waiting for some issues to be resolved.

And lo and behold, I found two PCMCIA GPS cards kicking around!

"Sweet!" thought I, "I can use this in my Newton!"

Well, actually, no. When I inserted the card into my 2100, I get an error
"Sorry, a problem has occured (820184)". Both slots. Crap.

I did find the specs for this card: it's from Teletype, model #1308, and this
is the spec sheet:

http://www.teletype.com/pages/support/1308worldnav.html

and these are some photos of the card:

http://www.teletype.com/pages/support/1308physicalatt.htm

 From the specs, it should have the usual serial interface and provide NMEA
data. But my Newton seems to disagree :( TeleType supports this card for
Windows and PocketPC. The Windows "drivers" are really just an INF file to
tell Windows "Hey, see this card? It's a serial port", so no special voodoo
should be required on the Newton either...

I'm just wondering if someone out there has encountered this model of card
before? Anything? Anything at all?

Wishing he was GPS tracked,
Victor