Re: [NTLK] Cleaning the screen with isopropyl alcohol is bad?

From: Bryce (petridish_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 15:51:07 PST

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:25:39 -0600, James Nichols <smilr_at_mac.com> wrote:
> I thought that rubbing alcohol was non-conductive for electricity, and
> evaporated rather quickly - so I doubt that it "shorted" anything out
> by getting where it should not have.

Some isopropyl alcohol solutions aren't conductive but most commonly
you will find it as a mixture of isopropanol and water. The only kind
of isopropyl alcohol that is safe for use on computers is an
"anhydrous" rendition that is 99.9% isopropyl alcohol.

Other kinds have water, which is conductive, and other substances
besides the isopropanol that can leave behind a greasy/stick residue
(both bad).

Andy, what kind of alcohol did you use?

-Bryce