Re: [NTLK] [OT] NYT carrier OQO review by David Pogue

From: Roman Pixell (roman_at_pixell.net)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 06:08:11 PDT

On Oct 15, 2004, at 1:13 PM, Robert Benschop wrote:

> But what do we have here ... so what's the big deal?

its a modular computer that doesnt make compromises. it has all the=20
possibility to be the one and only computer one uses. no need for a=20
special PDA or a desktop computer. this is quite new. also, mind its a=20=

new product, just a 001 version. it will get more interesting later i=20
believe.

many people have said that the PDA era is closing to an end now. with=20
products such as nokia communicator, sonyericsson p910i the many=20
different subnotebooks in the 1kg range and now the OQO, there is=20
little need for a separate PDA, ie a *third* device.

all this makes me think that the ultimate thing for the newton would be=20=

to migrate to a mobile telephone platform like QTek. this is from a=20
marketing perspective, i have not considered the technichal=20
constraints/limitations. the phone OS's available today are very=20
un-intuitive and leave a lot to wish. the newton is made for=20
communication and has a very comprehensible interface. ultimate here=20
would be to launch a telephone, but i guess that its exactly what apple=20=

is doing. after all, they said the had a PDA ready that they didnt=20
release.

/=A0=AE