Re: [NTLK] [OT] Etymology of Mathematics. Can't let that slide.

From: Matthew Reidsma (matthew_at_reidsrow.com)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 05:22:52 PST

On Mar 24, 2004, at 7:50 AM, Ikem Nzeribe wrote:

> Matthew,
>
> I bow to your superior knowledge on this, but you have to look back
> further than Ancient Greece for the genesis of modern mathematics

Ikem,

Now we're talking two different things here: first you said the *word*
came from Africa, and now you are saying the *field* came from Africa.
I'm no historian of mathematics, but you of course are right - the
Greeks copped nearly everything. However, if we are talking strictly
(as you indicated in your first post) about the origin of the *word*
"mathematics," it comes from the Greek. (via the Indo-European,
according to a handful of scholars.)

For the origin of mathematics, we'd likely have to get back to the
extinction of the dinosaurs:

Cave Man 1: Uh, One........Two........That's all?
Cave Man 2: Didn't it seem like there were more of those yesterday?

And now I return to my day job, which is *not* as a humorist. :)

(And my thread lives! Yay!) I've moved us to OT as well...

Matthew Reidsma
Boston, Mass, U.S.A.
matthew_at_reidsrow.com

http://newtonnews.org : One stop shopping for the Green connected mind.