[NTLK] Etymology of Mathematics. Can't let that slide.

From: Matthew Reidsma (matthew_at_reidsrow.com)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 21:39:08 PST

I'm a word geek. I love words. And etymologies. As a medievalist, I
spend a lot of time reading Latin, and learning great things about word
etymologies. Which is why I have to be the no-fun guy that comes in and
corrects statements about etymologies that are inaccurate. Sorry, not
trying to be a hater, just doing my job.

> Do you even *know* that the word "mathematics" comes from the word
"ma'at"
> (meaning balance), an African word??

Actually, mathematics comes most directly through the Greek:
"mathematikos", and in the compound we find it means roughly "disposed
to learn" (in Plato) or mathematics proper (in Aristotle et al).

Indirectly it is thought to come from an Indo-European root like
"mendh" which meant something like "learning." I did a little checking
on your theory, which I had not heard before, and couldn't find any
references to it.

That is all. Carry on. (I'm sure this thread will sink like lead. As
soon as I chimed in on the Templars thread (one of my passionate areas
of study) the thread abruptly died. Perhaps instead of the old standby
of "poutine" I could just post a message when we want a thread to
end... :)

Matthew Reidsma
Boston, Mass, U.S.A.
matthew_at_reidsrow.com