Re: [NTLK] This trick never works! Ethernet joys...

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 17:55:43 PST

On Mar 5, 2004, at 3:56 PM, Bruce E. Durocher II wrote:

> Recently, despite the problems others have had, I bought a 3Com
> 3C589D-TP Ethernet card and dongle, since using Escale with TCP/IP over
> 802.11b causes a crash after every package install
Basically Escales behavior is the same for me(10.3.2 B/W G3)...
> and I've never been
> able to get Appletalk working with my PowerBook under Panther.
Did you run directory access on the powebook in Applications/Utilities
and enable appletalk? Also turning it on in the System Preference panel
for Network.
> installed the Farallon driver, and the 3Com 3C589 patch in my Newton,
> set both machines to use TCP/IP with DHCP (Newton on DHCP Server, with
> the Prefs for AppleTalk set to EtherTalk)
Good but you need a DHCP S E R V E R to use DHCP.
> , and tried to connect using
> Escale and NewtSync.
> In both cases it tries to load the DHCP protocol with different
> results.
DHCP and appletalk have nothing to do with each other. Your DHCP
problem is difficult to troubleshoot without knowing your routing/DHCP
hardware/software If you don't have a dhcp server that's a problem.

You can also set escale manually to connect to the IP address of the
powerbook, since your DHCP is broken.
> With NewtSync the "Connecting" window says "Loading the DHCP
> protocol" for thirty seconds or so, then closes with no files
> exchanged. With Escale, when I try to connect from the Newton the
> "Connecting to the Internet" window stays open for thirty seconds or so
> and then I get an alert that says "NIE error: Problems connecting.
> DHCP server unavailable or unable to configure this device."
Both cases broken DHCP...
> I am
> using what's supposed to be a straight-through CAT 5 cable, but the
> cross-over one that connects the hub up to the modem doesn't work
> either. Any suggestions as to what I try next?
I use the 3C 3C589D, and it has taken a pounding and still works AOK.
Does your dongle light up when the Newton connects? Mine does.

Triple check your internet setup on the newton... The fact that you are
able to install a package? means your cabling is ok.

Marty