Re: [NTLK] This trick never works! Ethernet joys...

From: Bruce E. Durocher II (bedii_at_qwest.net)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 20:04:48 PST

On Friday, March 5, 2004, at 05:55 PM, Martin Joseph wrote:

>> and I've never been
>> able to get Appletalk working with my PowerBook under Panther.
> Did you run directory access on the powebook in Applications/Utilities
> and enable appletalk? Also turning it on in the System Preference panel
> for Network.

        Yes, and yes. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to
wait until a Newton Users Group meets somewhere near Western Washington
and have someone show me what I'm doing wrong on the NCU/OS 9/OS X
front.

>> installed the Farallon driver, and the 3Com 3C589 patch in my Newton,
>> set both machines to use TCP/IP with DHCP (Newton on DHCP Server, with
>> the Prefs for AppleTalk set to EtherTalk)
> Good but you need a DHCP S E R V E R to use DHCP.

        My wireless router is set up as one: I have been unclear if I should
just plug in the same numbers for the wired connection that I use for
the 802.11b connection.

>> , and tried to connect using
>> Escale and NewtSync.
>> In both cases it tries to load the DHCP protocol with different
>> results.
> DHCP and appletalk have nothing to do with each other. Your DHCP
> problem is difficult to troubleshoot without knowing your routing/DHCP
> hardware/software If you don't have a dhcp server that's a problem.

        I know they don't, but I was trying to indicate all the settings
changes that I have made on the Newton, just in case.

> You can also set escale manually to connect to the IP address of the
> powerbook, since your DHCP is broken.
>> With NewtSync the "Connecting" window says "Loading the DHCP
>> protocol" for thirty seconds or so, then closes with no files
>> exchanged. With Escale, when I try to connect from the Newton the
>> "Connecting to the Internet" window stays open for thirty seconds or
>> so
>> and then I get an alert that says "NIE error: Problems connecting.
>> DHCP server unavailable or unable to configure this device."
> Both cases broken DHCP...
>> I am
>> using what's supposed to be a straight-through CAT 5 cable, but the
>> cross-over one that connects the hub up to the modem doesn't work
>> either. Any suggestions as to what I try next?
> I use the 3C 3C589D, and it has taken a pounding and still works AOK.
> Does your dongle light up when the Newton connects? Mine does.

        No, my dongle doesn't light up. I may take this card to a friend who
does lots of networking stuff and get him to check the cable, dongle,
and card on his setup. If it's bad, then I'll return it.

> Triple check your internet setup on the newton... The fact that you are
> able to install a package? means your cabling is ok.

        I must have been unclear: I can install packages over a serial
connection, or wirelessly. See above remarks regarding the cable,
dongle, and card.
        Not to sound like someone who's being lazy, but I suspect that there
might be an opportunity for some eager techie to set up a service where
you send in a Newton and an Ethernet card by Express Mail, and he sends
back the Newton with the drivers installed and the card tested, and a
note as to what settings you should set up on your Mac (and/or Windows
machine, I suppose) to make a connection between the two, if only to
avoid the frustration that folks on this list keep having with Ethernet
cards...

Bruce E. Durocher II
bedii_at_qwest.net