Re: [NTLK] PDA Market

From: edmund_at_www.helmug.gr
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 20:14:21 PDT

> Also, to answer your other question: Yes, the Newton is incapable of
> accepting appointments and schedules after 2010 (though, if I'm
> remembering correctly, the Newton will still work if you can live
> without a datebook).

Yes it is but there is a patch that fixes the problem :-)

As for the PDA market...

From my point of view (and it is the same point that made me buy a newton),
PDAs nowdays are a bit useless and a bit overpriced. Cameras, videocameras
etc...Yes, cook toys but NOT really useful over time...

I like the simple approach for devices: A mobile should be able to make
phonecalls. A videocamera should be able to capture video. An mp3 player
should be able to play music. Technology IS NOT ready yet toproduce the
PERFECT ALL IN ONE machine.

So in the PDA market we have 2 approaches (mainly) : the low end of the
market with glorified electronic filofaxes and the hi end with camera/mp3
player/game console/mini computer/coffee machine/fruit mixer devices :-)

The low end is a bit limited in its capabilities. The high end is too
expensive and too disoriented. People are buying the new toys but they are
soon bored and then the new model comes out tha insted of improving the
PDA's capabilities it simply impoves the resolution of the camera!

Most PDA products a disoriented because of the mobile phone/mp3
player/game console/computer trend. When a product (rarely though) targets
a specific use (like zaurus for example) it gets immediate attention but
it is buried under the avalanche of the other models.

Funny thing is that most of the "all in one" devices are being sold not to
people that really need them but to people that just want to impress or
are just seduced by marketing.

Thats why i liked the psion series 5mx, thats why i am in love with newton
now :-)

Kostas