[NTLK] Gem Enterprises selling info from my site

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 13:15:35 PST

Hi all,

I have sent this this afternoon already, but haven't seen it in the
digests yet. Sorry if it appears twice.

I have noticed that GEM is selling parts of the info from my site
in the following auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3073957220&category=2
7966

Quite obviously this is mostly a copied version of the title page of
my site's hardware section http://www.pda-soft.de/hardware.html

It goes without saying that I don't object to this info being
distributed freely (otherwise I wouldn't have written it and published
it
in the web), but I definitely and strongly object to anybody making
money with it, even if it is sold only as an add on to something else.
I'd have expected anybody wanting to do this to at least ask me first.
I'm contemplating sending them an eMail asking for either putting
the links directly into the auction text so they can't be sold
or stop selling my info. I don't have a problem with their using my
site for boosting their sales (others for example put a link to my
battery rebuild pages in their auction text if they sell a dead
battery).
This is perfectly ok since it might lead to a sale, but won't cost
the buyer anything.
I am, however, a bit unsure about whether there's anything illegal
about it. It seems that they are only selling links which might or might
not be illegal. Just in case anybody is high bidder for this auction,
I'd be interested in the content of the CD, though, maybe there's more
than just the links on it.
What do you guys think? Is it Illegal? Un-ethical? Is there a text
template
somewhere that I could put on my site for everyone to see that would
forbid selling this info in any way unless I am asked first and I
consent?

Thanks

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de