Re: [NTLK] Shop is open.

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 08:08:42 PST

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:14:29PM -0500, Bret Feinblatt wrote:
> Why would the transfer speed be decreased? From what I understand, the
> transfer speed via the wireless cards (once you get them working) is
> higher; I'd like to use that for syncing & transfers once I get it
> going. But I'd also like to be able to use USB, just for convenience.

The transfer speed would be reduced from USB's 12mbs or whatever down to
serial speeds, because the only place to put even an internal USB
circuit into the Newton in a place where it can be programmatically used
is via the serial port on the Newton. There's not a way to just kind of
hotwire it directly to the processor nor is there ROM support to deal
with a such a connection.

I wouldn't wonder that this might break Windows NCU entirely too, since
the buffering is already kind of wonky with *real* serial (hence the
existance of slowdown.exe) and this adds another fragile layer into the
mix.

--
It is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe.  It is equally vain
to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead --  E.W Dijkstra, 1930-2002