Re: [NTLK] Shop is open.

From: Bret Feinblatt (bafein_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 13:14:29 PST

On Wednesday, January 21, 2004, at 11:58 AM, Humphreys, David (URB)
wrote:
> Clearly, serial <> USB conversion is possible. Case in point: Keyspan.
>
> But understand just what you would be getting - a USB port that runs
> at serial speed (actually slower).

Keep in mind that I don't really have much technical knowledge re: the
inner workings of the Newton, beyond the basics that can be derived
from looking at it with the cover off.

Why would the transfer speed be decreased? From what I understand, the
transfer speed via the wireless cards (once you get them working) is
higher; I'd like to use that for syncing & transfers once I get it
going. But I'd also like to be able to use USB, just for convenience.

> What would you do for a serial port then? The keyboard needs one so
> you would have to arrange for this to be
> accommodated. Where do all the connectors go?

Well, I was thinking a dual port setup, seeing as the modem blank spot
is in no danger of being filled.

> See, it's not so easy. And what have you gained at the end of the day?

A port that doesn't require an adapter to hook up with a modern Mac.

--
Superstition sees the Finger of God even in trivialities.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html