Re: [NTLK] Newton restarting

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 13:30:52 PST

>My Newton's been doing this weird thing lately where it will restart
>for no apparent reason (while not even on) several times per day. It's
>been going on at least a month, possibly longer. I had a look inside,
>on the theory that maybe something was going on with the reset switch,
>but no signs of foreign objects.

For a start, make two full backups. Then go through the reset sequence
you find at the top of my disassembly instructions

http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html

exactly as described. "Exactly" as in "word by word, letter by letter,
not even thinking something can be safely done differently because it
probably is of no importance".

If that doesn't cure things, remove the ROM card, clean the contacts
and put it back in. I haven't heard of a ROM card causing this
particular problem, but cleaning the contacts won't hurt. If
this doesn't help either and the Newton is still in its after-reset
condition with no additional software installed, it has a hardware
defect.

If you want to risk the cost of shipping to Germany and back, you
can send it my way and I can have a look at it. Looking, as usual,
is free for list members.

Good luck

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de