Re: [NTLK] Shop is open.

From: Humphreys, David (URB) (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 13:33:17 PST

First of all, this isn't a wireless card. USB is a different animal. USB stands for Universal Serial Bus. It's just a
fast serial port. If you connect it to the Newton serial port then it can only go as fast as that. In practice, it will
be a little slower due to overhead during the conversion. It can never take advantage of USBs'
higher speed. Caveat - A complete rewrite of the low-level comms could provide the speed hike but that would require a
good chunk of NASA's budget to achieve. ;-)

> > What would you do for a serial port then? The keyboard needs one so
> > you would have to arrange for this to be
> > accommodated. Where do all the connectors go?
>
> Well, I was thinking a dual port setup, seeing as the modem
> blank spot
> is in no danger of being filled.

Oh no? What about a type B USB connector? Now where does the mini-din go?

> > See, it's not so easy. And what have you gained at the end
> of the day?
>
> A port that doesn't require an adapter to hook up with a modern Mac.

Fine. But the keyspan adaptor is not that unwieldy and it leaves the option of using the standard serial port for a
keyboard - something that is lost if the USB interface is moved inside.

Regards,

PCBman

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html