Re: [NTLK] Canadian copyright tax

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 09:31:25 PST

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Anil wrote:

> Sorry Sorry Sorry if I have offended anyone especially Victor. It was
> never my intention to offend anyone, I was just trying to say that the
> rules aren't being followed as described on the web site, and that
> perhaps someone who has more time could offer to help pitch in.

Anil, the list definitely has a too big flood rate to be moderated (as in
someone reads all the messages and accepts them). No one here notices when
Victor takes some days off.

Also, Victor happens to be extremely liberal. It's part of the spirit of
the list to accept some OT threads and recurrent topics including poutine.

> I think a good idea would be too mark off topic posts clearly, I
> suggested to Victor about perhaps moving to a web format. This would
> allow users to state their set up, helping greatly with tech issues. We
> could all have avatars, and we could segregate the posts to, off topic,
> and help!

It would be something entirely different. And guess what? It already
exists. There are several web-based forums about the Newton.

> But I haven't heard anything from Victor about this idea. Perhaps there
> is a blindingly obvious reason why this would be a bad idea, but I
> can't see it if there is one.

The blidningly obvious reasons include:
- it already exist (search for smaller or newted, the two that comes to my
mind)
- lists are very different from web-based forums and it wouldn't be
NewtonTalk if it were a web-based forum.
- lists are readable from a Newton (I don't, but you can tell from the
format of their messages that at least two old chaps use their Newton to
read and post to NewtonTalk, Ed and Wo, and there surely are others).

Anil, you seem to want to improve things and this is something good.
However you must understand that if things are how they are, there is a
good reason, including:
- Victor Rehorst administers NewtonTalk
- Bill Shamam hosts NewtonTalk
- NewtonTalk is a list
- Poutine is a recurrent tolerated subject
- Robert Benschop and Grant Hutchinson are wise and respected Hauptfiguren
of the community.
- Woo and Ferdi fight every month at least.

All this is the history of the community. It happens to be like this. You
will have difficulties to change it for the 1800+ members of NewtonTalk.
However, feel free to work on other community tools like web-based forums.
Although NewtonTalk is a mythic place of the community, the community
definitely isn't limited to NewtonTalk. I know people who are members of
the NPDS mailing list of the French-speaking mailing list who are not on
Newtontalk for various reasons that may include Poutine, Ferdi or just the
amount of messages on the list.

Paul

--
Currently machineless