Re: [NTLK] [NTLK][OT] macworld 04 pix

From: Henry Stukenborg (hjstukenborg_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 19:27:46 PST

Rick,

> 2) iPhoto and iMovie are no longer free??? Steve, you are just trying
> to squeeze $$ out of loyal Apple fans' pockets. Yes Garage Band is
> great, but I kinda thought this is why I'm shelling out $100 a year for
> .Mac. What's next? Quicktime for $15 and Quicktime Pro for $49?

So you think that because you had two versions free they should always be
free? I don't recall Apple every claiming that would be the case. Do you
think $49 is too much to charge for the sheer amount of functionality the
package provides?

On a related note, I don't understand the entitlement mentality that many
people seem to hold. Apple is a business and they put significant resources
into building those applications. $49 is not very much at all (more than
free, I'll grant you). If free is what kept you with the applications then
do you really value their functionality?

As far as 'shelling out' $100 a year for .Mac - who's making you? You can
quit at any time if you don't find the value. Not even his Steveness can
'make' you stay a .Mac member.

> The ONLY good thing to come out of Expo was Final Cut Express 2 and G5
> Xserves. A truly disappointing Expo indeed. This HP thing just makes it
> worse (Apple is scraping pretty close to the bottom of the barrel with
> HP. The only thing below HP is Gateway.).

I cannot for the life of me understand this thinking at all. How can the
deal with HP be 'a bad thing'? It gets iTunes on thousands of desktops and
the iPod starts to become a platform vs. a product. HP gives Apple's
solution a lot of weight in the PC world and helps to stave off the 'MUST
SUPPORT WMA' battle. Apple is looking to build and maintain relevance in the
music industry and is doing what it can from being marginalized by MS and
WMA. If WMA becomes the defacto standard, the Mac is in a lot of trouble
since there is no decent WMA Mac player.

I think Apple is making some very smart moves - some we all can question
now, but I do feel they have a definite long-term strategy they are
executing on. This will be a very, very interesting year.

--
Henry Stukenborg
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html