Re: [NTLK] newts for n00bs?

From: John Osborne (tooz_at_oceanatlas.com)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 08:13:37 PST

Jacob,

I'm an official n00b myself so I don't mind tackling this question.
After owning a beat-up MP100 for many years I recently got a MP130
($50) and MP2100 ($200) on ebay. They have been a lot of fun. In many
ways, I like the craftsmanship on the MP130 better than the 2100. I
like the feel of writing on the screen better and it just fits in your
hand better. However, the 2100 is substantially faster and you can sure
feel the difference in everyday things like HWR and navigation of the
file system. The MP130 has NOS 2.0 and the 2100 has NOS 2.1. I can't
really tell you whether one is practically better than the other--they
seem to be identical in my experience. After I've played around a bit
more I want to get an ethernet card for the 2100 and see If I can sync
with iCal and Address book on my iMac and maybe read email. I'm not
convinced that browsing the web on NOS is going to be a viable
proposition. From my research, Newtscape seems to be the most
sophisticated "browser" available and it doesn't do Javascript so would
be unable to render a large number of web sites. Somebody can correct
me if I'm wrong. So my recommendation is this: if you want to play
around and explore the Newton, the MP130 might be a great choice--the
OS is almost as modern as it gets, has a great screen, great form
factor, backlight, and are reasonably priced. I'm using it primarily as
a game device for me and my daughters. However, if you want a serious
mobile computer platform, then the 2100 is the only way to go--it has a
bigger screen, is 8X faster, more RAM has two slots, and seems to be
where all the development action is these days on the Newton. So four
times the $ gets you 8 times the speed--not a bad tradeoff. Hope this
helps.

oz

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html