[NTLK] newts for n00bs?

From: Jacob Hunter (hunter.jacob_at_virgin.net)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 01:28:27 PST

Hi, I'm new to the list so sorry if this has been asked a thousand
times.

Basically I migrated to the Mac a little over a year ago and well, like
them a great deal. And I am now thinking of investing in an ebay
newton. I don't really want to spend a great deal of money but I would
like something useful. Ideally I would be able to make lots of notes,
use PIM apps, the usual and hopefully email and do a bit (though not a
lot, I'm always near a desktop or laptop) of internet work, especially
IM such as AIM. I am on dialup so PC card modem support would be good.
 From what I have seen NOS 2 is far better than earlier versions and
that limits my selection to later 120s 130s 2000s 2100s or emates. (I
don't want an eMate tho!). However although the architecture of the
newton is pretty new to me I have read that all the newtons except the
2100 have too little 'stack' memory to be useful for internet work.
What's your take on this?

I think a 2100 is probably going to be overbudget, but would a 130 or
2000 be able to do what I want it to or would I be much better off
spending more and waiting for a 2100?

Oh and I am used to a palm (useless) and an MC218 (PSION 5mx clone
thing) which is great.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Oh and I'm in the UK so I think ebay is my only option.

Jacob

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html