Re: [NTLK] einstein project?

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 13:45:51 PDT

On Tuesday, August 31, 2004, at 09:33 AM, smoerk wrote:

> It's about running Newton on new hardware and I doubt that it's about
> developing this new hardware. How many people would buy a knew Newton
> computer? 10, 100, maybe 1000? There are so much good PDAs on the
> market, just use them as a new Newton platform. Nowadays the cool
> thing with the Newton is still the software.

I disagree - the newton hardware is still very much important - what
other pda's hae the same LARGE screen as the 2x00? How many have 2
pcmcia slots? support at the programming (not necessarily the os) level
for 4 such slots? Support for 4 serial connections? How many get by
without so much as a single button (save for the power button) ? I'd
rather rip the guts out of my 2100 and put something new in there than
move to 'faster' hardware produced as an existing pda, as said faster
hardware will not be nearly as expandable, and therefore not nearly as
long lasting as the original newton hardware lines have been.
-------
James T Nichols
~ Insert Witty comment Here~