Re: [NTLK] einstein project?

From: smoerk (smoerk_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 09:33:45 PDT

It's about running Newton on new hardware and I doubt that it's about
developing this new hardware. How many people would buy a knew Newton
computer? 10, 100, maybe 1000? There are so much good PDAs on the
market, just use them as a new Newton platform. Nowadays the cool
thing with the Newton is still the software.

People writing emulators for everything, it should be possible to
write a Messagpad emulator running on the same processor architecture
than the Newton on top of Linux. I have noe clue how hard this would
be, but should be doable sonehow. People running OSX under Linux on
PPC and x86. :-)))

"""Paul Guyot Newton Never Dies. It only gets new Hardware

The Newton Underground's Motto (Newton Never Dies, It only gets new
batteries) applied as long as the Newton was the most powerful PDA
around and there was a sufficient number of available units to
maintain the platform.

There is no Newton emulator. There is no working solution to run
Newton programs on another platform, even if Simon Bell's work aims at
this. Hence, the number of computers with the Newton Intelligence is
definitely decreasing.

My proposition to escape this end is known as the Einstein project.
Unlike many Newton-future projects that were conceived and abandonned,
the Einstein project is not a complete rewrite of NewtonOS to merge
the Newton Intelligence with newer technologies. Instead, it is
divided in several small steps, each of these forming a strong
contribution to the Newton platform and the Newton community. I will
present these various steps and argue why the project is possible
including why NewtonOS could run on other hardware within few months.

The actual horizon of the project is yet to be decided. I will present
various paths and solutions."""