Re: [NTLK] Introductions and Cigarette Modems

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 08:00:12 PDT

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 11:00:59AM -0300, Steele Campbell wrote:
> First of all, since the PC card slot will be used almost exclusively
> for small ATA cards (>64MB), I am going to need a proper modem. Now to
> my knowledge of the eMate and Newtons in general, the only external
> and compatible modem is the black cigarette box modem that was widely
> distributed with the H1000/110 (if I am mistaken, please advise). I
> realize it is only 9.6kbps however I intend to use this exclusively

9.6k fax, not data. 2400 data. You may have to shop around a bit to
ensure that your dialup provider will accept connections that slow.

> for e-mailing or at the most masochistic level, Courier/Telnet for
> text only academic web sites/systems. Would anyone know where I might
> acquire one of these (preferably with the adapter) for a relatively
> reasonable price? I can't imagine they have much use to those who have
> moved to the big boys ;)

Most external modems will work just fine with the proper serial cable. A
USR Courier HST v.Everything does a dandy job, and doubles as a stand
for the Newt, being somewhat larger than the 2100.

--
83. If I'm eating dinner with the hero, put poison in his goblet, then have to
    leave the table for any reason, I will order new drinks for both of us