Re: [NTLK] IRDA and Newton

From: Brian Ogilvie (Brian.Ogilvie_at_mathworks.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 08:39:06 PDT

    From: "Michael Schaefer" <mpschaefer_at_hotmail.com>
    Subject: Re: [NTLK] IRDA and Newton
    Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:02:25 +1000

    I checked and reinstalled everything with no effect. So, I
    froze everything on the Newton except for the Nitro/Neo and other
required
    parts and I can send Notes and Name Cards ( Text Only; VCS crashes
with an
    error 202443260 I think ). I couldn't manage to recieve anything but
I think
    that as XP it wouldn't detect the Newton until after it timed out
and
    then IRftp froze.

I use BackTalk and not Nitro/Neo, but I don't use MoreInfo. Sorry no
help there.

But here's a tip on sending from XP/Win2K: Make a shortcut to irftp.exe
on your desktop. When you want to transfer something to your Newton,
launch irftp and select the file, then goto Newton's inbox and say
receive. When the PC emits the IR connect sound, quickly hit the ENTER
key to start the transfer, do not click the mouse! This works reliably
for me. You can also select multiple things to transfer within reason
(say less than 20) and it will transfer each one.

I also set my IrDA port to max out at 115,000 b/s instead of 4Mb/s and
that seems to help.

You can export Outlook calendar events as VCS files but they need minor
tweaking to get them into Backtalk: The GMT offset must be removed from
DTSTART and DTEND, and the SUMMARY field name should be changed to
DESCRIPTION. With these changes I can get calendar entries from Outlook
to Newton on XP and Win2K.