Re: [NTLK] Before I leave, I must dispel a myth

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 10:10:45 PDT

On Aug 5, 2004, at 8:39 PM, Martin Howard wrote:

> The success of the Palm can be attributed to the fact that it only did
> five things (calendar, phone book, notes, todo, sync), but it did those
> five things VERY well. It was useful. The chances are that something
> that can do twenty five things out of the box isn't going to do them
> very well.

I'm not so sure about the "five" things it did well... IMO, the
Newton's calendar, phone book, notes and todo were far better than the
Palm's. I think that it was the fifth thing that the Palm did so well
that made it a success. One button sync that was fast and accurate, and
just worked. That, and a simple, trouble-free interface that also
worked flawlessly, and all in a basically attractive package, at the
right price. If the Newton could have conquered those last two
points--flawless sync and attractive price--I think the Newton could
have conquered the PDA market hands down. Alas, it was not to be... :-(

(Sorry for being late to the party... been out of town)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland