Re: [NTLK] Why not maximize your Newton experience? {re: using earlier models}

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 08:35:49 PDT

>>Occasionally, I read postings from people who are still using the earliest
>>versions of the Newton (100, 120, 130). My question is WHY these folks
>>have not
>>stepped up to using the MP 2X00 models? I would tend to think that the
>>reduced functionality of earlier Newts would just be too frustrating to
>>deal with.

Well there are several reasons I still like my MP120 and 130 (which are
both NOS 2.0) even though I do have a MP2000u. First the 120 is often a
easier to read in less light (without a backlight) then say a MP130
since the screen is a little more reflective (I prefer the MP120 as a
Bookreader myself if I know I am going to have the proper light). I use
my 120 and 130 as development units most of the time. The reason? Well
the MP2100 uses Flash RAM instead of the SRAM of the 120/130. Flash RAM
has a limited number of writes and as any programmer knows, debugging
takes a lot of reworking/reinstallation of a package. So I am not
"using up" my flash cycles when I have a nice 120/130 that don't have
that limitation.

Another nice feature is that the system patch is not held if all
batteries are removied for a period of time. So if something goes
seriously wrong with that area during software development, I just
remove the batteries and I am good to go. With a MP2x00 you need to
insert a different ROM board to clear the patch area.

-Dan