Re: [NTLK] 2100 Errors

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 09:19:31 PDT

> Questions...What are the two errors telling me? Should I have taken my
> Flash card (and modem card) out before I did a soft reset?

*snip*

Ok first off to be absolutely safe you should not press the reset button
with a flash card installed. Use a software method (like Sleepaid,
Tapbar, etc) or pull the battery if need be and reinsert it as that will
  cause a reset. Granted 99% of the time this is not necessary but
there are a few flash cards that do not recommend having it installed
during a reset (Pretec being one company I can think of off the top of
my head). I know that Apple says a soft reset (just pressing the reset
button) should not do anything and 99% of the flash cards don't have any
problems. HARD reset though should NEVER EVER be done with a card
installed (pressing reset while holding down power switch then saying
yes to erase all data). This is asking for it.

Now having said all of that, what email program are you using? It
sounds like you had soup corruption which spread to the rest of the
flash card. Whenever you get something that does not delete properly or
gives a error when you try to delete it, backup that Newt IMMEDIATELY!
You have some corruption going on that if you don't back up you could
loose everything. There have been instances where corruption spread
from a card to the internal store as well.

So if you have a problem like that again backup FIRST before anything
else. Then remove the cards and reset (or pull the power, then cards,
then apply power to reset). And if you still have a problem with the
card in question then it is due to corrupted soups and the only thing
you can do is reformat the card and restore your data. Again this is
why backup is your friend. :)

As for the Compact Flash question. Check out Paul's site
(http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/). There is a database of known
cards that work. If it is not on the list, don't assume it will work.
It may or may not. And I don't think there is a limitation of card
size, as people with the 1gb or larger micro hard drives reported they
do work with a Newt (with Pauls ATA driver). So check out his site. If
you don't see your card or adapter there, install Pauls driver and try
it. If it works great, if not then no harm done.

As for your "Can an ADB style Mac keyboard be plugged into the Newton?"
  In a word: Nope. You need either the Newton Keyboard, a stowaway
keyboard with adapter and driver, or use the Newton Connection Utilities
(NCU) on your Mac connected to your Newt to use its keyboard typing
directly into the Newt.

-Dan