Re: [NTLK] So Definately no NCU through AppleTalk in 10.3 then?

From: Ronan Donohoe (ronan1977_at_eircom.net)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 10:36:42 PDT

On 26 Apr 2004, at 13:50, Paul Guyot wrote:

> MacOS X only starts its native stack when the link it is configured
> on (the interface, e.g. Built-in Ethernet) is up. This means that you
> need either to have a router or a hub or you need the Newton to
> activate its link before it will work. It also applies to wireless
> networks.

I see where you're going with this Paul.
I did indeed need to fire up the ethernet connection between the Newt
and Mac in order for AppleTalk to be enabled.
This "firing up" was done by using NCU to Connect to>Other Computer
over an Ethernet Crossover Cable. (I dont have a router / hub thingie).
The Newt's NBLookup Browser successfully finds my Mac but when I try to
connect to it the connection times out and I get the message:
"Dock: The connection was stopped because there was no response." or
"Dock: The selected MacOS computer cannot be found on the network"
(And I did all this under the 5 seconds)

I reckon the active link between the two is interrupted / reset when
NCU tries to connect to the named computer (as the LED on the Ethernet
Adaptor blinks for a second and comes on again), the Mac "shuts its
ADSP stacks down" and AppleTalk is disabled again in Classic. My guess
is that if I had a router/hub to keep the connection active I wouldn't
have a problem.

Other interesting notes:
1. If I'm searching for my Mac using the Connect to>Other Computer and
find it and then quit NCU and relaunch it, my Mac's name will show up a
second time on the Newt's list of computers to connect to. If I quit
and relaunch NCU again the name appears a third time and so forth.

2. I don't need to restart either the Newt or the Mac as each time I
search for the computer the Newt always finds it.

3. I didn't try copying Luiz's extensions to my system folder as I
already have
Apple Modem tool 1.5.6 (Luiz has ver 1.5.3)
AppleScriptLib (Same ver)
AppleTalk ADSP Tool (Same ver)
XTND Power Enabler (Same ver)
-and Luiz's ObjectSupportLib extn. seems to be just required by
NewtonPress.

4. I'll try Newtourage as suggested by Jon and see how it goes.

So I suppose I now need to rephrase the basic question:
Is there anyone out there with a new machine that came with 10.3 and is
successfully connecting their Newt using NCU in Classic over Ethernet
(AppleTalk) using just an Ethernet adapter and Crossover cable?

Thanks
Ronan