Re: [NTLK] printing from a newton via linux

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 13:28:02 PDT

On Apr 14, 2004, at 11:34 AM, Adam Short wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 12:25:13PM -0700, Martin Joseph wrote:
>
>> Essentially transparent? I don't see how it could be...
>> <snip>
> Hmmm... I don't want to argue with you, but I can't see how it can be.
> Everything else works fine. The IP on the newt is 192.168.1.3 and the
> IP
> on the linux box is 192.168.1.2 so they *are* on the same subnet.
Not necessarily true! Imagine the AP is using DHCP on both sides and
getting a number in the 192.168.1.x on the wired end and giving out
addresses in the 192.168.1.x range on the wireless side. So the
addresses appear to be on the same subnet, but NAT is still occuring.

> The AP
> does nothing but forward packets from one side to the other, as far as
> can tell.
Then how are your wireless clients configured?
What type of AP is it??
> Email works, telnet works, ftp works, the only thing that
> doesn't is appletalk.
Everything but Appletalk would work ok through NAT as well. There are
also know issues with some wireless routers which don't handle
appletalk properly.
> I don't have a wired lan card to test with, but my
> girlfriend will be here later with a real mac, so I can test it that
> way. I really don't think I'm missing anything obvious here, as far as
> can see the networking side of it *is* right.
Could be,
Marty