[NTLK] Compact Flash Cards?

From: Barry Rosenfeld (barryrosenfeld_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 20:01:42 PDT

I have a couple of Compact Flash Cards (128 MB and 8MB) left over from an
old digital camera (the new camera uses the very tiny SD cards). I bought
an adapter from Sandisk which is supposed to make the Compact Flash card
usable "in any PCMCIA slot." It says that I should be able to "plug the
card into the adapter and it becomes a PCMCIA accessible plug and play
memory card." (You can see it here:
http://www.esend.com/sandisk/product.asp?sku=SDCF%2D38
<http://www.esend.com/sandisk/product.asp?sku=SDCF%2D38&mscssid=1DP48KL80N9F
9JCGH2V3FL4HESW860VD> &mscssid=1DP48KL80N9F9JCGH2V3FL4HESW860VD)

I tried using the adapter to put the Compact Flash card into my Newton
(MP2000 upgraded) and, though the whole thing seemed to fit nicely into the
Newton, I got the following error message: "There is a problem with this
card (-10582)." I then went into Extras and tapped on the Card icon and
got the message "No card is inserted." I tried this with both cards so it
is not an issue with the big card being too big.

Any ideas here? Is there something that I can do to format the card in the
adapter so that Newton can use it? Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks,
Barry

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html