Re: [NTLK] Compact Flash Cards?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 22:51:23 PDT

on 20/09/03 23:01, Barry Rosenfeld at barryrosenfeld_at_comcast.net wrote:

> I have a couple of Compact Flash Cards (128 MB and 8MB) left over from an
> old digital camera (the new camera uses the very tiny SD cards). I bought
> an adapter from Sandisk which is supposed to make the Compact Flash card
> usable "in any PCMCIA slot." It says that I should be able to "plug the
> card into the adapter and it becomes a PCMCIA accessible plug and play
> memory card." (You can see it here:
> http://www.esend.com/sandisk/product.asp?sku=SDCF%2D38
> <http://www.esend.com/sandisk/product.asp?sku=SDCF%2D38&mscssid=1DP48KL80N9F
> 9JCGH2V3FL4HESW860VD> &mscssid=1DP48KL80N9F9JCGH2V3FL4HESW860VD)
>
> I tried using the adapter to put the Compact Flash card into my Newton
> (MP2000 upgraded) and, though the whole thing seemed to fit nicely into the
> Newton, I got the following error message: "There is a problem with this
> card (-10582)." I then went into Extras and tapped on the Card icon and
> got the message "No card is inserted." I tried this with both cards so it
> is not an issue with the big card being too big.
>
> Any ideas here? Is there something that I can do to format the card in the
> adapter so that Newton can use it? Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks,
> Barry

That's because your card is a "Compact Flash" while the Newton, by default,
accepts only "Linear Flash RAM" cards.

You can check Paul Guyot's web site to see if his ATA driver, which is what
you would need, supports your specific card. His web site is
<http://www.kallisys.com/>.

-Laurent.

coaster n.: 1. Unuseable CD produced during failed attempt at writing to
writeable or re-writeable CD media. Certainly related to the coaster-like
shape of a CD, and the relative value of these failures. "I made a lot of
coasters before I got a good CD." 2. Useless CDs received in the mail from
the likes of AOL, MSN, CI$, Prodigy, ad nauseam.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html