Re: [NTLK] Share Internet Connection

From: Andy Mulhearn (unxmully_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 15:12:13 PDT

On Monday, Sep 8, 2003, at 17:54 Europe/London,
mike_at_mikeinteractive.com wrote:

> My first goal is to view live Web pages on my
> Newton. (I teach a class in XHTML/CSS and I'll be taking
> screen shots from it.)

XHTML and may be a bit of a stretch, though some of the more
experienced folks would perhaps no better than me.

> I was hoping I could connect my Newton
> to the iMac and share its Internet connection.

I've not done that but technically there shouldn't be a problem.

> I don't know if I can download Courier directly
> to my Newton without a Web browser already
> installed in it.

The only ways I know, and I'm relatively new to the Newt thing myself -
had a 2100 for four weeks, are:

1) someone copies the packages onto a flash disk (one of the linear
type) and you install them from there. Flash formatted for Newts can't
be read by PCs or Macs and vice versa.

2) You have a serial cable and install them from a PC or Mac - for the
iMac you'd need one those usb to serial adaptor thingies and to be
running OS9 or classic, I think. This last bit is a guess cos I only
use OSX.

3) If you have the network drivers installed and the card works and the
localtalk package is installed then I think you can use AppleTalk and
Escale (www.kallisys.com) to do the installation of Courier and the
associated packages.

4) If you have SimpleMail installed you can mail it to yourself.

5) I believe NetHopper allows package download and install.

4 and 5 need one of the previous solutions so.... When I bought my 2100
I already had a 120 with no way to get stuff onto it so I made sure to
get a serial cable at the same time - it simplified a lot of things.

> I thought I'd have to download Courier to my
> iMac first and then transfer it to the Newton
> (in some way).

Yup, that would be 3) above.

> Eventually I'll want to take the Newton out
> and about (its a remarkable device)
> and then I'll get an wireless ISP for it which may
> be part of my cell phone plan.

I guess you mean one of the GPRS (that's what we call it in the UK)
connections. That's another can of worms as well (didn't you just know
it). There's an experimental Bluetooth driver lurking somewhere but
it's a recently kicked off project. Then there's a IRDA driver at
www.40hz.org which some people have had success with and that's all I
know of.

I've been really pleased with my 2100. Some of the desktop software is
a bit unstable but the unit itself is excellent and I really find the
larger screen much easier to work with than the tiny screens on my iPaq
or palms.

HTH,

Andy

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html