[NTLK] PC slot on 2x00 no longer working

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 11:04:06 PDT

Something really odd happened today.
I keep a Pretec 32mb card in the lower slot of my
daily use Newton. I keep a card blank in the upper
slot. When I need, I pop out the card blank and put in
a DLink 660 ethernet card to get my email and download
packages.
Today, with no concerns, I perform the same routine I
perform every day. I pop out the blank and put in the
card. Unfortunatly, I never got a slip for inserting
the card and Simplemail won't acknowledge a network
connection.
I remove the network card and the Newt locks up. It
took removing all power and draining the supercap to
get the Newt back. I try again and still no network. I
put in a RAM card and no slip. I remove the lower card
and put the network card in there. It is recognized. I
put the current known working RAM card (the 32mb
Pretec) in the upper slot and no slip. I try many
different cards and nothing. I investigate the pins
and there is no bent pins.

So, I know that others on this list have experienced
this...was there any conclusion? I doubt that there
was any physical damage to the port. and I haven't
loaded any new packages....I have no clue what the
problem could be.

Any ideas?

Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new subdomain)

=====
"When any government, or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, 'This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know', the end result is tyranny and oppression , no matter how holy the motives"
     -Robert Heinlein, Revolt in 2100