Re: [NTLK] A lead on a dude who knows HWR stuff

From: Jeff Sheldon (jeff_at_jurai.net)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 20:23:10 PST

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 03:46:19PM -0600, Nathan Turnage wrote:
> Handwriting Recognition. This guy's name is Greg Strikleather and he is

"Strikeleather", according to Google ;)

Cool name. He might be a good source for Newton pouches as well.

> companies. And there's this tidbit: he started a company called Aha
> (sp? that was bought by M$ a couple of years ago. BTW, I don't know
> what Aha did.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/1996/apr96/ahapr.asp

A rather frightening excerpt:

"'We are very pleased to be joining forces with Microsoft,' said Greg
Stikeleather, president and CEO of aha! software. 'Combining the resources
and vision of Microsoft and aha! software will promote the adoption and
integration of our technologies into an expanded group of products.'"

Such lines even under the duress of the M$ I find unsettling. However I'd
like to see how he responds, so hopefully you'll receive some good
questions.

My personal thoughts on the Newton:

Port API for use on an ARM-based platform (does XScale support *early*
StrongARM instructions?). If the author(s) is(are) pro-"open source",
blend it with existing thinned PDA motifs such as X11 or QT so we can
run non-newton apps as well and support various programming tools besides
NewtonScript and NS Basic. Build support for Newton-formatted
CompactFlash cards & read/write other partition types. Strip EVERYTHING
new & homemade of any reference to Newton or Apple to avoid legal issues.
Basically we'd be doing to the Newton what Apple did to the MacOS, but
I'm repeating past conversations on here.

As for handwriting..yeesh. One could start with something like xstroke
that could always be tweaked, tuned, and modified. Attended a good
technical talk at USENIX last June:

http://www.xstroke.org/usenix_2003/html/

However some people on here found some sources for natural handwriting
products (proprietary & costly) that could probably be introduced as a
"component".

-Jeff

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html